Neapolis – Christoupoli – Kavala! The three names of the city. For the first time we find the name Neapolis in the fiscal lists of the allies of Athens in 479 B.C. With the invasions of the Huns in the early 5th century A.C., the destruction of Neapolis coincides. In its place, the city, which owes its name to the preaching of Paul the Apostle, Christoupolis, was rebuilt a few decades later. After 11 centuries of existence, it was deserted in 1182 by the Normans of South Italy. After two difficult centuries of wars, invasions and natural disasters, the Ottomans conquered Christoupoli. In 1380, when the remaining inhabitants closed the fort, it looked like a horse (in Italian it means cavallo) with their backs facing the sea. Thus the Genoese renamed Christoupoli into Kavala. In the middle of the 19th century, the city began to grow rapidly. This was due to tobacco sales from French, Italians, Austrians and Raguzei who called Thessaloniki’s Lazarists in 1887 to establish a church and a parish school. They responded to the call with first father Kazimir Hypert, (he lived in Kavala from 1887 until 1896) who was the founder of this important station, where Fathers Lazarists continue to this day to offer their spiritual services. Then Father Stephen Jougla followed, who rebuilt the St. Paul foundation stone, which launched on July 30th, 1900. A French school was built there, which took the name of Lazarist, martyr in China, John Gabriel Perboyre. Father Jougla, with recognized religious and charitable contribution, was awarded by the municipality and this distinction bequeathed to his successors until the last permanent chaplain, father Edmund Voutsinos (1947-1981).